This evening some of our friends came over for a quick impromptu visit. It was great because I had spent the afternoon cleaning and rearranging the downstairs so the house looked great for a drop in visit. I have to say, though, that my children were the most ill behaved creatures while the friends were here. Not listening, doing things that they know are not allowed, acting out, showing off, being obnoxious, you name it. Honestly, it was just embarassing. Even the dogs got in on the act and barked and nipped and ripped a hole in Ethan's shirt...
When the friends left, I told everyone that I have never been more disappointed in their behavior before, and that they were going upstairs for the night and better not make a noise or ask for anything. They complied, which only serves to prove that even they knew that they were out of control. Erin tried to yank Owen off the monkey bars while he was upside down, the girls all got in the guest's van, Ethan had to have two time outs and kept getting in the fridge, and he changed his shorts three times in an hour. Owen was just plain out of control being mean to the girls and slamming his door.
It was one of those times when you question every decision that you have ever made as a parent. WHY can't the kids behave like perfectly normal kids when someone {anyone, it doesn't matter who it is} comes over. Do they not get enough attention? Do they think that they have to show off so people will like them? I do not, and have never, expected them to be perfect. They are kids and I anticipate kid behavior. I expect it. This was caveman behavior. And not those suave, party going car insurance Cavemen. This was more like savages.
Now it is 8:30 and they have been up there for an hour. Ethan is still up, having stalled with pooping and needing to give me the orange peeler. He called for me a few minutes ago and told me he needed to give me something for the dryer. I got to the steps and he had that Tupperware orange peeler in his hand and he was wearing green swimming goggles. No joke. I think he got them off the bathroom counter. He cried when I took them off of him.
Today needs to be over.
No comments:
Post a Comment