7.08.2009

DIY linky party

DIY Day @ ASPTL
My daughter, Avery, broke her arm this past Sunday when she wrecked her bike. She was the youngest one in a group of "big kids" that were out doing some bike/skateboard jumps in front of our house. Never one to be outdone, she gave it a try, and her radius paid the price. The makeshift sling that she got in the ER was not going to last, since after 24 hours it was starting to tear. I decided to try and make her a sling. While cruising the internet, I found virtually nothing by way of a tutorial for a sling. So I did what I do best, and just went for it. {winged it, wung it...what is the past tense for "wing it" anyhow???}
This is what I came up with. I used some old denim from some cut up jeans that gave their lives to become bags last week, some cute striped fabric and the handle off of an old bag for the strap. It is not adjustable, but that works for us, since it's just for Avery. I ended up making two because the first one had a strap malfunction and when I repaired it the strap was a bit too short. What do you think? Turned out super cute, and who knows...maybe there is a market for really cool slings...


The back is just boxed off like you would do for a bag...



This is the first one. After I attached the strap, she decided she liked the striped fabric better, so it became the outside. I agree with her, much cuter than the denim. And machine washable, too!

DIY Day @ ASPTL

7 comments:

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans said...

That turned out so cute! Way keep your daughter in fashion even with an injury! Visiting from Kimba's Party!

Kristi said...

You did a fabulous job! When our youngest broke her arm, several years ago, we had a nice sling but I painted a Christmas scene on it and I think it made her feel better. Great job!

Unknown said...

What a great idea! If they have to be stuck wearing one, might as well use it as an accessory

Heidi said...

awe, what a sweet mamma you are!

Alison @ This Wasn't In The Plan said...

Very clever! Definitely the best looking sling I've ever seen.

Sara said...

I would have given my right arm for this when I was in 7th grade and broke my left arm...
Very, very cute! If I could sew at all (I only do buttons, and I don't do that very well...)I'd be all over this. As it is, I would think anybody would love this over the plain ol' slings you get from Medical Supplies R Us. Well done!

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

Aww, poor girl with her broken arm. At least she has a stylin' sling! You did a great job with that.

~ Sarah