9.15.2009

My place or yours?

Have you ever wondered about your place? If you would have asked me at this time last year, I would have told you that I was on the fast track to college graduation, and then off to get a job. After all, hasn't God given me the desire to be a teacher? But then, guess what? It was hard and I felt overwhelmed and I prayed for the stamina to get through. And I did...but barely. So I decided to take the summer off, and it was great! And then I decided that I should take the fall quarter off too, truthfully there is just no time for school for me between the kid's stuff and well...life.
Then I had a thought. Maybe it was a small whisper from Him. {I'd like to believe that.} Is the classroom the only place to teach? What about your church? What about your home, and those four kids you have?
{me} "no, we tried that already, remember? it didn't go well."
{me} "yes, church is good and i'll teach there, but it's not the same as my own class."
{me} "i want fun teacher stuff like a cool bag and a cricut."
{me} "okay, i'll stop now."

So, now I am wondering about my place. Did I miss the boat with the teaching thing? Is is possible that one or two of the kids would benefit from doing school at home? Should I step into a more committed role at church?
Just when I thought I had it all figured out...
I have decided to wait. To pray and watch for opportunities. To be the both Jen and the Mama and fulfill my purpose to the best of my ability. To not worry {okay, to try and not worry}. To trust and obey. To teach the world to sing in perfect harmony. A song that echoes through the hills...

Now I am just getting carried away. But you get the point.

1 comment:

Beth said...

it's funny....that's how i felt last year.

i saw you going to school, and sooo wanted to be there with you: learning, buying school supplies for myself, interacting with "adults", on track to more income for our family, persuing a career that i really enjoy (nursing).

i kept hearing soemthing in the background or maybe it was in front of my and i kept moving it to the back. anyway, i realized it was God telling me that my "job" was right in front of me: my husband, kids, home, church. do the job that is set before me to the glory of God. a lot of crying and begging God to forgive me ensued for not listening to His still small voice sooner.

but, oh, is He gracious.

you are a great mom. there is sooo much that you do that i admire, and i should tell you that more often. as a mom and as a woman.

i love you and i hope that you have a glorious week.