How did I just realize that school starts next week? I mean…we have bought the supplies, and hemmed the skirts and said “no, you cannot wear your new shoes yet” 1000 times, but for some reason, I was still thinking that it was a few weeks out.
Today I had to go in to work for some training/information. I was a little strange to be there in some role other than “parent”. I introduced myself to the new principal, and met some people that I had never officially met before. I still have to get a few questions answered and figure out some stuff, but everyone seems eager to help. I think the fact that I was there today and willing to take on tasks that needed done made a big difference. The office manager got me some things for my desk (cute clipboards, she must know me :o) and I am really excited to just get started. Part of what I did today was make some phone calls to new families. I needed to make sure they had the open house information. A lot of them had questions, and I had some 15 minute phone conversations with a few of them. One dad is a firefighter in Columbus, and I told him that Doug was too. Mistake. We had a lengthy conversation about, in his opinion, the unfit hiring practices, among other things. He seemed really nice, though. Just chatty. I decided that I should preface each phone call with this sentence: “Hi. I am new here, this is my first day in fact. I was just calling to give you some scripted information, so please don’t ask me any questions.”
No comments:
Post a Comment