5:45 am- Ethan woke up. I cringed when I looked at the clock. I truly believed that if I had slept 15 minutes longer, it would've helped.
6:00 am- Alarm scares Owen to death, since he is in our bed. Doug finally turns it off after 20 buzzes. He says he only heard it twice. Somehow we are all up and moving this early. Truly a miracle.
6:45 am- I have said "get your shoes on" for the 50th time.
7:00 am- Literally a miracle.
7:15 am- I had to force myself not to yell at the WalMart cashier as I stood there and watched him unwrap all of the rolled coins in his cash drawer. Maybe he figured that he wouldn't have to make any change during his shift. Ironically, he gave me back the wrong change.
8:05 am- Furiously looking for a good parking spot that I can get out of later.
8:15 am- Put my kids in line with 200 others to run around the block downtown. Strangers all around. I'm wondering if I am crazy. I keep them all together despite the "age group" line up. I order them to stay together and hold hands, not to stop running, no crying, keep going, I will find you at the end, don't wander off, etc.....
8:30 am- Panic attack as kids race starts.
8:50 am- Beaming with pride as we watch Daddy line up to run. He looks good!
9:00 am- We ring our cowbells and cheer as the race starts.
9:05 am- See rules for 8:15 am, as I repeat them while we are headed back to the van.
10:22 am- I find that I don't know how to act without someone to keep track of. Just me...walking downtown. Quiet. Too quiet. I wait at the last stretch to the finish line. I am totally inspired watching all these people finish the race. It's a huge accomplishment. Some are stoic, some thrilled, some pumping fists, lots are smiling. I could stand here all day.
10:49 am- I see Doug. I am emotional for him. I fumble with the camera trying to get his picture. I manage one of him after he passes. I try hard not to cry. He has worked very hard.
11:00 am- We are headed back for kids, really hoping that the soccer game has been cancelled.
11:45 am- Of course it hasn't, so off we go to Newark for the game.
12:45 pm- Avery is so excited. Her soccer debut! She scores four goals. At her age level, they take turns and play one on one. The other coach asks Doug if she's played before. We give a silent, smug smile, and say no. It's her first season, first game.
1:45 pm- Wet and full of hot dogs, gum, and hot pretzels, we head to the car.
2:00 pm- Home!!!!!!!
7:30 pm- I don't know how tired the kids are, but I can hardly stay awake, so they are off to bed.
8:30 pm- Open mouthed, drooling, asleep on the couch. Feels good despite strange angle of neck.
10:30 pm- Drag up to bed. Feels even better, no neck pain.
No comments:
Post a Comment