12.17.2008

Reverse Psychology

I am trying to finish up some Christmas gift projects. Ethan is slowing me down. Of course, he is two and I think that being a hinderance to whatever is going on around him is just built into his DNA. I tried a little reverse psychology on him this morning. He has this new set of stacking stars that you can bowl over with a little ball. It was one of his Christmas gifts that I gave him early to keep him busy while I was working on a project the other night. Anyhow, they are currently spread out on the floor in the kitchen where he was bothering me. So I suggested that he play with them.
Ethan- "No."
Me- "But they are a lot of fun, you can stack them up and knock them down."
Ethan- "Noooooo". (drawn out really sweetly)
Me- "I'll bet you can't even stack them, yea, it's probably too hard for you to do."
Ethan- "Yep."
*At this point I tried another approach, based on the fact that I had told him not to touch my roll of wrapping paper, which meant that he kept coming over and touching it with one finger and laughing.*
Me- "Ethan, you are not allowed to play with the star blocks. Don't stack them."
Ethan- *walking over to the star blocks on the floor, looking back at me, and stacking them up, just waiting for me to react.*

I abandoned this approach quickly, because while it got him busy and away from my wrapping paper, I figured it was also not the best idea to make him disobey on purpose.

Also, big development, he slept ALL NIGHT last night in HIS OWN BED!!!!! YIPEE!

No comments: