12.11.2008

The uneventful finish.

I wish that I could say that I am experiencing all of the joy that I thought I would be when the quarter was finally over. I'm not. Don't misunderstand, I woke up this morning and realized that I didn't have to read or study anything today, and I smiled. But my last final was...nonspectacular.

or unspectacular.

or spectacularless.

however you would say it.

It was my history final, and the test consisted of one of three potential essay questions, five long-ish definitions, and one comprehensive question. I decided to study the longest most involved essay question which was on FDR and the New Deal and the Great Depression. It was A LOT of information. The study guide was 20 pages...typed. So I condensed, and read and condensed and memorized, and condensed. I cried a little about it all on Sunday because it seemed like an insurmountable task. Then, by yesterday I had it all memorized and could write a beautiful essay on "The New Deal has been called both evolutionary and revolutionary. Decide which you think is correct and discuss." I had it down. I could do the outline from memory-which covered everything from around 1917 to the end of the Great Depression around 1939-ish- and then fill in the rather lengthy details. That is some serious information. If you wanted to have coffee with me I could bend your ear about Hoover's presidency and how he didn't think it was the role of the government to directly intervene in the economy, and how he flat out refused to offer direct assistance to the nation's unemployed. We could also discuss FDR and how some of his New Deal policies shaped our modern tax system and Social Security program. I know about people named Felix Frankfurter and Bernard Baruch.

Lest, you think I aced the final with my indepth (*chuckle*) knowledge, I'll continue my story.

When I sat down to take the test, and looked at the two essay questions that we had to choose from, I found this....and I quote:

"The 1920's have been called "The New Era". Discuss what this means and what it meant for the economy and minorities."
(*gulp*)
"Discuss the four main reasons that America had for dropping the Atomic Bomb. Which do you think is the most convincing?"
(sweating...please let their be some strange mistake....)

Because I was so sure that the New Deal question would be on the test, I had not even bothered to begin to look at the answers for either one of these questions. I had no clue. Literally. I couldn't even think of anything to say. Given my two hour time limit...I fumbled out three sentences, and then stopped. I wrote on the test this: "To be honest I didn't study either one of these questions, but instead prepared a long and indepth essay on the New Deal. I apologize for the silliness of my attempt to answer a question about the New Era." I hated myself. Duh.
I answered the definitions, and gave a pretty lame answer for the review question. The wind had left my sails. I had tons of time left, so I added another little note that said: "And now, just for fun, the essay I prepared."

And I wrote. and wrote.

Selfishly, I wanted the professor to know that I had studied. I had put time into this, darn it. I had CRIED for goodness sake. And to look at my test, you would have thought that I hadn't bothered to open the book. Oh well. Maybe I'll get some sympathy points. If I had brought along a picture of the kids, I honestly think I would have stapled it to the back with a little "happy holidays" note. I was desperate.

The good news...it's over. My grade probably took a nose dive, but it will do me no good to fret. I'm off today to gather supplies for the craft-a-thon on Saturday. I am so excited, and I'll post some pictures after it's over.

No comments: