After just over two and a half years of not sleeping all night or in his own bed, we have decided that enough is enough. We are sleep deprived and Ethan is too old to not be sleeping. I have had many a "talk" with him in the mornings, both of us laying in his twin bed..."Ethan this is the last time mommy is going to be sleeping with you. You are a big boy and I know that you can sleep like a big boy." He would always give me a knowing smile, and then we'd wake up the next morning snuggled up in his bed. You see, he is perfect at going to bed. Doesn't fuss, super sweet. It's the waking up and going from super sweet to the Mama monster that has us in a tiz. Every night he wakes and calls for me. And in the interest of sleep, I go and get in bed with him and he twirls my hair and goes back to sleep.
Four nights ago, all that changed. When the mama monster woke up, he was met with a united front. Both mom and dad told him that he would be finishing the night alone in his bed. We lovingly tucked and reassured. And we whooped and hollered in the morning when he had made it the whole night. Of course, he woke up three times that first night, and the mama monster reared his ugly head each time, but...we had done it!! Good had been done, and we were on our way. Night two was a spitting image of night one, and we once again patted ourselves on the back. Then last night happened. Crying, threats of cribs, weary eyed moms and dads and babies. I wanted to give in, I was TIRED for crying out loud. Ethan even took matters into his own hands and came into our room twice. But, he made it, and so did we. Tonight is my first night on my own. Doug is at work, it is ten thirty and I feel weak. I am tired and I don't know if I can stand firm. I have every intention of staying the course. I'll let you know how it went in the morning.
I found a book that I am getting tomorrow no matter what. It is called, Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Marc Weissbluth. May it be chock full 'o wisdom for someone like me who is so easily brought down by the infamous Mama Monster.
No comments:
Post a Comment