2.01.2009

Phew-genics

I am currently sitting at the coffee shop, trying to motivate myself to get cracking on my second speech. Here are the parameters: It has to be about any historical topic that occured before 1970. Anything. Cultural, political, entertainment, books, people, animals, anything. I asked Doug for help in choosing a topic and he suggested eugenics. So then I started researching. I found tons of information...so I am narrowing my focus to how eugenics really took a foothold in the United States. Did you know that? There was a point in the history of our country when we thought that things like sexual promiscuity and feeblemindedness were traits that were passed on genetically. We legalized forced sterilization for our own citizens that were found to be of "unfavorable" gene pools.
So, do you have any physical defects? Brown, red or black hair? Too short or too tall? Do you have a family history of violence, addiction or crime? If so, be glad that the American Eugenics Society decided to go underground after WWII (and change their name to the Human Genome Project) after the Nazis gave the idea of eugenics a bad rap, otherwise you would be from an undesirable family, and would be segregated, sterilized and restricted so we could weed your family and all their issues out of the American gene pool.
Unbelievable.

2 comments:

SANDLAPPER said...

sounds like the policy of the ancient jews only allowing the "sound" people to marry and reproduce.

MCWinger said...

do you realized that the American Eugenics Society stil exists today? They changes their name to 'Planned Parenthood' and function all across our country passing out free contraceptives to prevent the continued spread of the lower classes... Think I'm nuts? Oh yeah, sorry, dumb question... Do a bit or research on the origin of planned parenthood next time u r bored, instead of looking for a new background, and you may indeed have ur next speech. and tell me, why would eugenics just pop into Doug's mind?