I thought I had this great idea to commemorate firefighters for my last speech. I have to use five different figures of speech (metaphor, personification, alliteration, etc.) and I thought that it would be pretty easy to write a speech that was interesting and descriptive about fire stuff. I'll bet right now you are thinking about all of the same things I was..."tongues of fire, the engines racing to the scene, the feelings that the guys have. I even made up a little questionnaire to get some "inside information" about the job from firefighters themselves. I asked things like:
In a few words describe what fighting fire is like.
If you had to name your greatest accomplishement, what would it be?
What would you say is your biggest fear?
Finish this sentence: Fire is...
And a few more. I even told them to leave their name off of the form if that would help them to feel like they could give the most honest answers possible. I did get some good input, but not quite as much as I'd hoped. And also not quite as much insight as I'd hoped either.
I did get some funny answers though. For example, one person said that fighting fire is the most fun that you can have with your clothes on. Hmmmm.... Another said that it is a double edged sword, you love it even though it could kill you.
When asked for some firefighting "isms" they produced: Ladders rule and engines drool. Eat until you are tired and sleep until you are hungry (this is evidently true for ladder guys only). The bigger they are the higher the floor they are on. (I wonder if that is referring to fire or EMS patients??) Work one day and get a weekend. Big fire = Big water.
Anyhow, I am coming up empty. I have spent the afternoon writing and then crossing out and then second guessing. I think I am trying too hard. My goal was to have a big chunk of this stupid thing written by today...fat chance.
No comments:
Post a Comment