4.22.2009

I love three bands right now. First, Addison Road. Their whole album is great, but in particular, I love the last song called "What Do I Know of Holy." This won't do it justice, and if you can, you should listen to it. But one on my favorite lines from the song is this one...

"If you touched my face, would I know you? Looked into my eyes, could I behold you? What do I know of You, who spoke me into motion? Where have I even stood, but the shore along your ocean? Are you Fire, are you Fury, are you Sacred, are you Beautiful? So, what do I know, what do I know of Holy?"

Second is Nevertheless. They have a lot of great songs too, and mostly I enjoy them because the kids do.

And third is Tenth Avenue North. Great album, but my favorite song is "By Your Side." Again, if you don't listen to the song, you are missing out. But here is my favorite part...

"Why are you striving, these days? Why are you trying to earn grace? Why are you crying? Let me lift up your face, just don't turn away. And I'll be by your side where ever you fall, in the dead of night whenever you call, and please don't fight these hands that are holding you. My hands are holding you."

I think that God has been trying to show me just how big He is lately. I recently watched a video by Louie Giglio about God as the Creator. {Google him and watch some of his YouTube Videos} I can't explain it as eloquently as he does, but it is amazing to me that the same God who created something as unfathomable as the UNIVERSE, would desire to come along side me. Me, who is fickle and sinful and doubtful and untrusting. Yesterday after the math test I was driving home and I was just behind a rain storm. The sun was behind me, and there was the most amazing double rainbow, all the way from side to side. And it was as if God were leading me home with that promise in front of me as the storm moved at almost the same speed as I did. The rainbow stayed where I could see it for almost the whole 45 minute trip. And, I know this sounds like some sort of algebra induced lunacy, but under the bottom rainbow, it was as if the world was different. Brighter, clearer, I don't know just how to say what I saw. It just looked like some other place altogether.
This is why I love that Addison Road song so much. God is Fire and Fury and Sacred and Beautiful and He is so fierce. Our pastor said on Easter sunday that we have turned Jesus into our "good buddy". {Click that link for the podcast.} We like the idea of the hippie Jesus, wearing sandals and long hair. But we forget that He.created.everything. Volcanoes. Hurricanes. Wind. Fire. Love. Loyalty. Mothers. Now tell me that those aren't some fierce things.
He is super huge.
He loves us.
He pursues us.
Just don't turn away.

1 comment:

Beth said...

I love "By Your Side." That is my favorite line, too, the onw about don't fight these hands that are holding you.

I see me trying to hold one of my kids when they are crying/upset & I'm trying to comfort them.

GOD is my FATHER trying to comfort my crying/upset being.