9.30.2009

Stairs::Part Two

When I started painting, I really thought I had made a huge mistake. But with the pad and carpet already off the steps and in the trash, there was no turning back.
In the end, I really do love them! I still have one coat left to do, and then I'd like to do something (words, stencil, ??) on the risers. Suggestions?

Posted by Picasa

20 comments:

Corrie said...

The stairs look awesome!
Would Doug hate me if I suggested painting the posts black??? (You would leave the rails as they are.)

Miss Mustard Seed said...

I agree on painting the posts, although I would suggest painting the spindles and trim white and the banister black. That would really look sharp. I like the idea of a stenciled detail or ascending numbers on the risers. It would break up the black. Good for you to have the guts to pull up that carpet and do something different!

MCWinger said...

WTF?

Delightful Dwelling said...

I think the spindles would look pretty in white too. I have seen people stencil numbers on the stairs. I small design would be pretty too.

The Brown family said...

I would take miss mustard seed's suggestion and break up that black a bit. Do you have other white trim in your house? If so, I would paint the spindles and the risers white too...leaving only the stair top back. Then give them a number in black on the riser. That will break up your current sea of black you got going on. Can't wait to see it finished.

rebekahweckerly@gmail.com said...

Oh WOW!!! They look great!! I have a beat-up carpet runner I am planning on getting rid of soon! thanks for the inspiration!

Anne said...

Came here via the link party at Shanty2Chic. I must say, I'm loving the fearlessness of this project! Quite the risk you took ... and it totally paid off!

I shared my link at Shanty2Chic, but here it is anyway. Stop by!

http://getyourmarthaon.blogspot.com/2009/10/board-and-batten.html

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

Dramatic! Gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Looking good! I've seen some really cute stair makeovers around.

Shanty 2 Chic said...

Love them:) Lots better... and I would go with a stencil... super fun! Thanks for linking up!
~Whitney

Tamera said...

Looks great! I saw a redo where they stenciled #'s on each step starting from the bottom....really cute.
Good luck:)
Tamera@doubledelight

ToujoursPrecoce said...

Yeah, I'm partial to painting some white on the posts to lighten things up, as well as modernize the black. Great work, though! Things like this are so tiring, and the least fun parts of the process are also the least rewarding! :)

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

I would also paint the posts...You did a fabulous job on the steps...isn't is just grand when other people suggest you do MORE work? haha

Shanty 2 Chic said...

Much better without the carpet and I love the idea of the stencils! Can't wait to see what you do with them! Thanks for linking up with us! ~Ashley

Tammy@InStitches said...

Great job, that took some guts ! The easiest paint job for the railing is to paint the top handrail black. I did it and I love it.

Room to Inspire said...

Wow, I am impressed! They look great and I would agree with the others - painted spindles would complete the transformation and I love the suggestion of numbers in ascending order. I can't wait to see how it turns out!

Chelsea

cindy@cottage instincts said...

Some simple detail (numbers?) would be really neat. I like Miss Mustard Seed's suggestions too. Great job so far, lots of work, whew!

Anonymous said...

I like the stairs, but they need something else. I wonder if painting a rectangular border on each step would look cool? Or maybe painting the hand rail black? I don't know. It's just missing something. You did an excellent job!!

Michele said...

How about numbers on the risers? =}

MotherhoodFilm said...

That's quite the project! I really enjoyed looking around your blog! What great ideas!!
*Eliza’s blog*