I have exactly 24 hours to prepare and pack for four summer campers. Doug is working today…so this prep is solo.
I have a list of needed items that is a mile long, and no coffee.
It looks like we are headed out to Wal Mart for stuff like batteries, toothbrush covers, bug spray, gallon size ziploc bags, and snacks.
Anyhow.
Last night Erin went to that birthday party. Another set of parents offered to bring her home after the party was over, which I was fine with since the party ended at 10pm, and it was about 25 minutes from our house, and I was dead tired from driving all day! (okay, not driving but riding all day. I did offer to drive the last 15 minutes home, to which Doug replied “are you serious?” In my defense I did offer a couple of times through out the day, but he knew that I would adhere closely and most likely travel just under the speed limit…so he did the driving. I did the reading.)
Doug and I got the other kid’s clean and in bed by 9, and then we were talking about what we needed to pack for camp, the transition from vacation to camp to school, and in the midst of that talking we both fell asleep, lights on. I jerked awake about 45 minutes later and shot a look at the clock. 10:30pm. No Erin. I tried to call her cell, no answer. I texted her. No answer. I briefly considered calling all parties involved, party parents, driving parents, etc. But then I took stock and decided that the parents driving home were completely responsible (more so than me) and that given drive time and one other drop off for another friend, she wasn’t too late…yet. Five minutes later she was home. Five minutes after that we were all asleep.
Heaven help us when they are all three teenagers. We’ll never sleep.
1 comment:
you most likely will not read this until Monday evening, but i am just done in packing for me and rory and i have had all week. i can't image what you have been through on Sunday to get the campers ready. you deserve an extra tall coffee at your fav cafe or some quiet time to read or a nice steak dinner or a nice foot rub or all three. oh wait, that's what i want too!!
Post a Comment