7.08.2010

tweener turns twelve

Somehow, without me noticing, Erin has managed to turn twelve.  Do you ever feel like that?  Like you have been asleep for a long time and things kept moving right along without you and now…your daughter is suddenly nearly a teenager!?!

I wonder if my parents feel it.  I will be 35 this year, which just seems normal to me as my life seems to go one year at a time.  But do my parents have this same “life happening at the speed of light” feeling about me as I do about my kids?

To celebrate said 12th birthday, Erin had two friends spend the night last night.  Erin made her own birthday cake yesterday and decorated it and, for some reason, put 20 candles on the cake.  Maybe she was going for wow factor.  Anyhow, after tacos and cake they read some scary stories, played a game, watched a movie, played DS and painted nails.  Ethan was asleep at 8:30 and Owen and I crashed out about 10:30.  At 11:15 when the noise level started to creep up, I told the girls they had five minutes and then DS-es off and lights out.  At 2am I told them to “shhhhhhh” and at 3am I said that they had to stop talking and go to sleep…now.  Even Avery was still up at 3.

We are headed to the pool today for some post birthday swimming.  Hopefully the bad moods, that are sure to come as a result of staying up until 3am, manage to stay at bay until later this evening, like 7 maybe, at which point I will have no problem telling them to head to bed.

I will post some pictures of the birthday girl later today.

No comments: